Thank you for your interest in employment at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas! All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and will be required to provide proof of identity and authorization to work in the U.S.
BRIT Event and Rental Sales Representative
BRIT seeks an enthusiastic individual to join the operations team as the Event and Rental Sales Representative. The ideal candidate will have event sales experience, exceptional communication and hospitality skills, and be resourceful in building relationships with potential clients in the community. In addition, this position provides logistical and marketing support for the Events and Rentals department. This is a full-time, non-exempt position, and hours of work and days vary and will require schedule flexibility and after-hours and weekend work.
The Event and Rental Sales Representative will:
- Display a mission-oriented and positive customer service attitude and demeanor in all interactions with the public and potential rental clients.
- Identify rental opportunities within potential client communities through communications, programs and other activities as needed.
- Continually grow relationships with existing clients and create new relationships with new potential clients.
- Assist Event and Rental Manager in sales goals, answering public inquiries, and providing rental tours.
- Serve as primary onsite staff member and point of contact for rental clients and oversees day-of-event logistics and assists in facility-related matters throughout the event as needed.
- Support rental clients on pre-event communication including logistics, layout guidance, and assists with other client matters as needed.
- Generate and publish marketing content through social media and other channels that encourage community members to use BRIT’s facilities for events.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A college degree is required along with MS Office experience with demonstrated proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Event management experience, including marketing
- Sales and hospitality experience
- Social media marketing experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Professional appearance, welcoming personality, and strong knowledge of team concepts.
- Displays good judgment and ethical conduct; dependable and flexible.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including a strong internal and external customer service focus.
- Extremely organized and detail oriented with ability to perform duties correctly, stay on schedule, and follow-through on assignments.
- Experience working with the public, board members, donors, and volunteers.
Please see the full job description for a more detailed list of job tasks and applicant qualifications. BRIT strives to maintain a positive working environment focused on growth and success of individuals, working together in a collaborative, professional manner, with communication a priority. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter as a single document to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. BRIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
BRIT Press Assistant Editor and Coordinator
The Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT) seeks a full time Press Assistant Editor and Coordinator to assist with timely production of the highest quality journals, books, and other BRIT published products for distribution primarily to the community of botanists and related biologists. This position also manages all customer service and sales aspects (fulfillment) for a small, botanically-themed press/publishing department, including management of an online storefront.
The (ASSISTANT EDITOR) responsibilities:
- Critically review and edit documents submitted for consideration to BRIT Press for publication in BRIT’s journals and books.
- Facilitate peer-review process.
- Collaboratively participate in modernization of the BRIT Press.
- Manage digital systems for distribution of publications.
- Manage the Press web pages.
- Expand the range of products to meet the needs of modern scholars.
- Write and assist with grant proposals for facilitation of publications.
The (COORDINATOR) responsibilities:
- Work independently with book ordering systems to process and fulfill incoming orders, including packing and shipping and handling returns. Also processes and fulfills orders received via mail, email, fax, phone, and point-of-sale.
- Independently maintain and manage subscriber databases and pack/ship journal orders (domestic and international).
- Sort, process, deliver, and pickup incoming and outgoing Press mail.
- Receive, unpack, and process incoming review books and gifts.
- Respond to sales requests (in person, phone, email, online) and other inquiries about publications.
- Work closely with Accounting staff for all payments, sales reports, and invoices.
- Ensure publications are stocked, displayed, and marketed in BRIT visitor areas.
- Maintain clean, well-stocked, and organized Press storage and shipping areas, and manage the Press inventory.
- Work with Advancement/Marketing to promote Press products.
An undergraduate degree in biology or master’s in botany or botanically related discipline; knowledge in plant systematics and floristics is required along with:
- Botanical or technical editing experience
- Exceptional attention to detail, oral and written communication skills, and editing
- Professional digital graphic layout experience (e.g., Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Computer programs/related skills (e.g., MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc.)
- Experience and/or interest in some aspect of publishing
- Experience/familiarity with content mgmt./journal mgmt. software
- Experience/familiarity with e-commerce/online shop platform (e.g., Shopify, etc.)
- Able to work with minimal supervision, maintain focus under pressure of deadlines
BRIT strives to maintain a positive working environment focused on growth and success of individuals, working together in a collaborative, professional manner, with communication a priority. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter as a single document to: britHR@brit.org. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. BRIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please see the full job description for a more detailed list of job tasks and applicant qualifications.